Saturday, February 28, 2009

Oh my.... It has been a long time! I have really gotten into facebook and have a site there. So sign up and look for me!

For anyone who's interested.... I will be changing this to a recipe site! I am INSPIRED by Chef Jamie Oliver, who has a philosophy of Pass It On. He is very concerned about childhood obesity and what we are feeding our children. He thinks that if people actually got in their kitchens and cooked, there would be a lot less health problems in the world. There is a problem though... Not many people know how to cook these days. I know many young married couples where neither one of them know how to cook. It's all about convinence and fast and, well, you know how it is. We're all guilty. I am going to be trying my best to make healthy foods for my family as well as getting my food storage in order. I will try and put tips here, and I will definately post recipes!
Here's one to start off with:

Pork Roast with Rosemary and Garlic

1 healthy sized pork roast (about 5-6 lbs)
a few sticks of rosemary (I have a bush in the yard, but you can find it in any grocery store)
2-4 bulbs of garlic
5-6 carrots
5 potatoes
salt and pepper
a baguette and some butter

A crock pot is the easiest for this recipe. If you don't have one, you should try and find a good one for your kitchen. I am a working mom and this makes my life so much easier!

Season your roast with the salt and pepper first. Just rub it all over the roast! Pour one cup of water in the crockpot and put your roast in. You can peel the carrots and taters if you want, but I like them a little more rustic and don't peel them. Just make sure they are washed!! Cut the carrots, leave the taters whole, arrange around the roast. Place the garlic and rosemary on top. DO NOT PEEL THE GARLIC!! Leave them in their bulbs! Cover the crock pot. The reason I like the crock pot is you can make it in the morning and come home to dinner! If you are not too familiar with your crock pot, read the manual and see what it says under PORK. Or you can just put it on High for about 6 hours. Mine will turn to the warm stage after the 6 hours is over, and that will continue to cook the roast.

Pick up a baguette on your way home from work, or if you're lucky....your husband will do it! Take the bulbs of garlic out and place on a plate. Throw out the rosemary. Toast that baguette! Arrange the roast and veggies on a platter. Cut up slices of your baguette and smear some butter on them. Since the garlic is super soft, all you have to do is squeeze the bulb from the bottom and the oozy roasted garlic paste will come out the top. Just make sure it goes on the bread!

EAT AND ENJOY!! Oh yeah, don't forget to make a small salad! =O)

4 comments:

Mary said...

So glad you're posting! I found your blog way back in October when I was looking for you on facebook (you weren't on there yet) because I couldn't find your number to tell you we were coming to CA. We'll take healthy recipes anytime, so keep them coming...you've always been a good cook.

President & Sister Smith said...

Hi,just read your comment on my blog. Don't know how I didn't see it before now. We'd love to hear more about the greatest mission on earth!! We're excited to add to the great work you've already started there. Give us any pointers you'd like before we take off for the Islands!?! When were you there? And yes, my husband is the new mission president.

Tara said...

SO, does this mean no updates about your FAMILY? C'mon, give us a little of both, at least! I hope all is well with you! I've been updating a TON on my blog so go check it out! Love ya!

Unknown said...

We have been looking for your family. Please call.